This page is dedicated to compiling Step 1 study notes for the topic of collagen synthesis. This page is likely disorganized as it was made in haste.
Here are the general steps of collagen synthesis:
- Signal sequence directs growing polypeptide chain into the ER
- Signal sequence is cleaved
- Hydroxylation of selected proline and lysine residues occurs. This is vitamin C dependent
- Glycosylation of selected hyroxylysine resides
- Assembly of pro-alpha chains in a pro collagen triple helix (still intracellularly in the ER)
- Pro collagen transferred to golgi apparatus: secreted in to extracellular matrix (outside the cell at this point)
- Terminal propetitides cleaved by N and C pro collage peptidases
- Collagen molecules spontaneously assemble
- Covalent cross links are formed by lysol oxidase.
Page Updated: 04.28.2017