- 1 WHAT IS IT?
- 2 WHAT CAUSES IT?
- 3 WHY IS IT CONCERNING MEDICALLY?
- 4 WHAT IS THE INTIAL PRESENTATION?
- 5 WHAT ARE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF THE MEDICAL HISTORY?
- 6 WHAT ARE IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE PHYSICAL EXAM?
- 7 CLINICAL WORKUP: SERUM STUDIES
- 8 CLINICAL WORKUP: IMAGING
- 9 CLINICAL WORKUP: OTHER
- 10 HOW DO WE NARROW THE DIFFERENTIAL?
- 11 WHAT IS OUR THRESHOLD FOR DIAGNOSING THIS CONDITION?
- 12 PATIENT MANAGMENT: SYMPTOM RELEIF
- 13 PATIENT MANAGEMENT: DISEASE TREATMENT
- 14 PATIENT MANAGEMENT: PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES
- 15 COULD THIS HAVE BEEN PREVENTED?
- 16 ARCHIVE OF STANDARDIZED EXAM QUESTIONS
WHAT IS IT?
Cyanide poisoning is a very self descriptive condition.
WHAT CAUSES IT?
There are a few different causes of cyanide poisoning:
- Iatrogenic: nitroprusside is metabolized in the body to release nitric oxide and cyanide ions. Its excessive administration can lead to cyanide poisoning.
WHY IS IT CONCERNING MEDICALLY?
Cyanide is a potent mitochondrial toxin: it binds to cytochrome c oxidase, and inhibits the electron transport chain. It brings aerobic respiration to a hill in the affected cell.
WHAT IS THE INTIAL PRESENTATION?
Patient Chief Complaints:
- Altered mental status
Detected Medical Problems:
- Metabolic acidosis
WHAT ARE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF THE MEDICAL HISTORY?
WHAT ARE IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE PHYSICAL EXAM?
CLINICAL WORKUP: SERUM STUDIES
CLINICAL WORKUP: IMAGING
CLINICAL WORKUP: OTHER
HOW DO WE NARROW THE DIFFERENTIAL?
Conditions that present similarly and how to exclude them:
WHAT IS OUR THRESHOLD FOR DIAGNOSING THIS CONDITION?
PATIENT MANAGMENT: SYMPTOM RELEIF
PATIENT MANAGEMENT: DISEASE TREATMENT
Sodium nitrite: promotes methemoglobin formation, which combines with cyanide to form cyanmethemoglobin
Sodium thiosulfate: sulfur donor to promot ehepatic rhodanese-mediated conversion of cyanide to thiocyanate. Thiocyanate is excreted in the urine.
Hydroxocobalamin: binds to intracellular cyanide inos, and forms cyanocobalamin which is removed in the urine.
PATIENT MANAGEMENT: PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES
COULD THIS HAVE BEEN PREVENTED?
ARCHIVE OF STANDARDIZED EXAM QUESTIONS
This archive compiles standardized exam questions that relate to this topic.
Page Updated: 04.10.2017