This page is dedicate to fructose metabolism.
Basic metabolic steps:
- Sucrose is broken down into glucose and fructose
- Fructose is converted to fructose-1-phosphate by fructokinase
- Deficiency of fructokinase causes essential fructosuria (benign because of hexokinase taking over fructose metabolism)
- Hexokinase can turn fructose into fructose 6-phosphate and it will be metabolized in the glucose pathway.
- Fructose-1-phosphate is metabolized into 2 different products by aldolase B. A deficiency of aldolase B causes hereditary fructose intolerance (serious condition)
- Glyceraldehyde: this can be turned into pyruvate eventually (couple more steps).
Page Updated: 04.29.2017