- 1 WHAT IS IT?
- 2 WHAT CAUSES IT?
- 3 WHY IS IT CONCERNING MEDICALLY?
- 4 WHAT IS THE INTIAL PRESENTATION?
- 5 WHAT ARE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF THE MEDICAL HISTORY?
- 6 WHAT ARE IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE PHYSICAL EXAM?
- 7 CLINICAL WORKUP: SERUM STUDIES
- 8 CLINICAL WORKUP: IMAGING
- 9 CLINICAL WORKUP: OTHER
- 10 HOW DO WE NARROW THE DIFFERENTIAL?
- 11 WHAT IS OUR THRESHOLD FOR DIAGNOSING THIS CONDITION?
- 12 PATIENT MANAGMENT: SYMPTOM RELEIF
- 13 PATIENT MANAGEMENT: PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES
- 14 COULD THIS HAVE BEEN PREVENTED?
- 15 ARCHIVE OF STANDARDIZED EXAM QUESTIONS
WHAT IS IT?
Chikungunya fever is a viral infection.
WHAT CAUSES IT?
The Aedes mosquito carries this virus and can infect the host with it.
WHY IS IT CONCERNING MEDICALLY?
WHAT IS THE INTIAL PRESENTATION?
Patient Chief Complaints:
- Joint pain (polyarthralgias)
Detected Medical Problems:
- Elevated liver enzymes
WHAT ARE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF THE MEDICAL HISTORY?
- Recent travel to endemic region: Central/South America, tropical regions of Africa, South Asia
- Incubation period (between exposure and onset of symptoms) is about 3-7 days.
- Symptoms of infection can include: headaches, myalgias, rash, rash
WHAT ARE IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE PHYSICAL EXAM?
- Fever is often present
- Maculopapular rash can be present
- Swollen/tender joints can be appreciated bilaterally on the hand/wrist/ankle joints
CLINICAL WORKUP: SERUM STUDIES
Complete Blood Count can reveal:
Liver Function Tests (LFTs) can reveal elevated liver enzymes .
CLINICAL WORKUP: IMAGING
CLINICAL WORKUP: OTHER
HOW DO WE NARROW THE DIFFERENTIAL?
Conditions that present similarly and how to exclude them:
WHAT IS OUR THRESHOLD FOR DIAGNOSING THIS CONDITION?
PATIENT MANAGMENT: SYMPTOM RELEIF
Supportive Measures are used to treat this condition.
PATIENT MANAGEMENT: PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES
COULD THIS HAVE BEEN PREVENTED?
ARCHIVE OF STANDARDIZED EXAM QUESTIONS
This archive compiles standardized exam questions that relate to this topic.
Page Updated: 02.19.2017