- 1 WHAT IS IT?
- 2 WHAT CAUSES IT?
- 3 WHY IS IT CONCERNING MEDICALLY?
- 4 WHAT IS THE INTIAL PRESENTATION?
- 5 WHAT ARE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF THE MEDICAL HISTORY?
- 6 WHAT ARE IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE PHYSICAL EXAM?
- 7 CLINICAL WORKUP: SERUM STUDIES
- 8 CLINICAL WORKUP: IMAGING
- 9 CLINICAL WORKUP: ELECTROCARDIOGRAM
- 10 HOW DO WE NARROW THE DIFFERENTIAL?
- 11 WHAT IS OUR THRESHOLD FOR DIAGNOSING THIS CONDITION?
- 12 PATIENT MANAGMENT: SYMPTOM RELEIF
- 13 PATIENT MANAGEMENT: DISEASE TREATMENT
- 14 PATIENT MANAGEMENT: PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES
- 15 COULD THIS HAVE BEEN PREVENTED?
- 16 ARCHIVE OF STANDARDIZED EXAM QUESTIONS
WHAT IS IT?
Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) refers to an elevated heart rate that is initiated/conducted by atrial and/or atrioventricular nodal tissues.
WHAT CAUSES IT?
SVT is commonly caused by a reentry mechanism. Specific causes of SVT include:
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome
- Congenital heart disease
- Sympathomimetic drugs.
WHY IS IT CONCERNING MEDICALLY?
WHAT IS THE INTIAL PRESENTATION?
Patient Chief Complaints:
- Usually asymptomatic when patients are between episodes of tachycardia
- Symptoms during tachycardia: palpitations , fatigue, chest pain, dyspnea, anxiety
Detected Medical Problems:
- Tachycardia that is rapid, regular, and often paroxysmal
- EKG findings specific to SVT (discussed more below)
WHAT ARE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF THE MEDICAL HISTORY?
WHAT ARE IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE PHYSICAL EXAM?
CLINICAL WORKUP: SERUM STUDIES
CLINICAL WORKUP: IMAGING
CLINICAL WORKUP: ELECTROCARDIOGRAM
Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) can show the following findings:
- Absent/indistinguishable P waves
- Narrow QRS complex (<0.08s)
HOW DO WE NARROW THE DIFFERENTIAL?
Conditions that present similarly and how to exclude them:
WHAT IS OUR THRESHOLD FOR DIAGNOSING THIS CONDITION?
PATIENT MANAGMENT: SYMPTOM RELEIF
Administer 100% oxygen and ventilate as needed
PATIENT MANAGEMENT: DISEASE TREATMENT
Adenosine can be used to terminate some types of SVT
PATIENT MANAGEMENT: PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES
COULD THIS HAVE BEEN PREVENTED?
ARCHIVE OF STANDARDIZED EXAM QUESTIONS
This archive compiles standardized exam questions that relate to this topic.
Page Updated: 02.18.2017