Varicocele refers to a vascular leison that is characterized by the dilation of gonadal veins the scrotum.
WHAT MAKES US SUSPECT IT?
- Dragging sensation in testicles
- “Bag of worms” feeling in scrotum (above testicle)
- No transillumination
- Increase in size drive Valsalva/standing
- Decrease in size during laying down
- Retrograde venous flow
- Tortuous anechoic tubules adjacent to the testis
- Dilation fo pampiniform plexus veins
WHAT ELSE ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT?
Infertility: this condition can lead to infertility in males.
HOW DO WE TREAT IT?
Gonadal vein ligation: for boys an young men with testicular atrophy (who wish to father children int he future)
Scrotal support & NSAIDs: older men who do not desire additional children
ARCHIVE OF STANDARDIZED EXAM QUESTIONS
This archive compiles standardized exam questions that relate to this topic.
Page Updated: 11.08.2016